Serious question: if healthcare insurance is usually provided through the job in the US: what happens when you become unable to work (case A: accident at work, case B: accident outside of work, case C: sudden development of some serious disease)?

By nielsk

I am a sysadmin with a background in Japanese Science and economics. Thus my topics are computers, Japan and economics. My favorite past times are pen&paper-role playing games and old video games.

With a couple of friends I also podcast about retro video games in German: Retrozirkel

5 replies on “”

@nielsk Assuming your employer fires you after the accident/disease onset:
A) Workmen’s comp. if you’re at a large enough employer that carries that insurance. Then 18 months of insurance you have to pay for yourself (COBRA).
2) 18 months of COBRA.
3) Same as 2).

States have a program to insure the indigent and children to varying degrees. The Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) helps people who can’t get private insurance or make too much money for state aid.

Translation: It’s a huge mess. I haven’t been an employee since 1998. At first, I joined a professional tech association that could offer insurance that I paid for. Then that association denied the insurance “benefit” to companies of one person. I have pre-existing conditions that made me ineligible for private insurance when I appied. I almost joined the state insurance pool, but the association’s insurer started offering individual plans. Every year there is considerable anxiety over what will happen next. Thankfully I was able to apply for Obamacare, when I started making less money, otherwise I’d be totally broke. In a few years, I’ll qualify for the senior citizen national plan, aka Medicare.

I’m no expert, I just have 22 years of experience sorting this out every year. I’m sure there are details I don’t know. Be thankful for your social net!